Anamnesis, of Renascents and Monsters,

A text-based simulation and role playing game of exploration, warfare, intrigue and romance in a low fantasy, early 20th century environment.

Monday, January 10, 2022

On Being Around Once Again

Hey remember that weird old text game we used to talk about here? I think I'm going to go back to develop it some more now that I have the time and I don't even feel like I'm dying anymore.

I might still take a few days to rest, plot the course and remove the dust bunnies and cobwebs from the code, but it's been a while since so much time has gone by without blog updates so I thought dropping a few lines was in order.

The good news, for me at any rate, is that the excruciating leg pain that became even worse whenever I lied down to rest seems to have disappeared at least for the time being, once again allowing me to function like a relatively normal human being and even enjoy life to a certain degree. My modest EMT training paid off once again because the doctor's appointment is still scheduled for February despite me asking for it in October last year, what with the collapsed healthcare system and whatnot. I probably pinched a nerve while exercising or otherwise stress and chronic inflammation finally caught up with me, though I can't completely rule out the involvement of malicious feyfolk in some way.

Another relevant development is that paid work has finally run out for now and I'm back in my hometown. This means that for the time being it's once again illegal for me to stand in the way of strangers at a train station with a pair of handcuffs and a baton on my belt to make them undress in front of everyone else, but then again I was only allowed to have them remove their coats this way. There is however still a chance that I might get called back soon with people getting infected and confined all over the place as they are.

I also went ahead and exchanged some of the money I earned for a new laptop, so next time my moving around shouldn't take as much time off Anamnesis development. Now I find myself in the strange situation of having a laptop several times more powerful than my elderly 10 year old desktop PC. Changes in sleep cycles and sleep deprivation still take quite a toll on my brain cells so I can't guarantee I'll feel like using this device for much more than playing and watching stuff with my brain switched off in future work-heavy months though.


As for something you might actually care about, for actual game development I'll start by fixing a few minor issues brought to my attention during the last month, update to the latest version of the engine and perhaps then add a few new units until I get my rhythm back. Afterwards, I might shelve the territory events related to technological diffusion altogether and go for something entirely different since I've been putting quite some thought into this and there just aren't that many interesting technology-dependent actions to add, especially in wilderness territories with no technology whatsoever in them.

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year! Take as long as you want on the updates, your health comes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, happy new year to you as well! I keep forgetting to say those things.

      And trust me, I learned that health comes first.

      Delete